VetClick Discussion Forum

Veterinary nursing apprenticeship career prospects

Posted by JoanJasper 
JoanJasper
Veterinary nursing apprenticeship career prospects
March 29, 2011 01:17PM
I have been looking for a veterinary qualification for some time now and have at long last i've found a suitable placement within walking distance of my home. I do not have the option of pursuing the academic route since I dont have the relevant A levels and the money I would need to invest would be phenomenal - I entertain no illusions whatsoever.
However by going via the apprenticeship route, how do I appear to employers when shoulder to shoulder with university graduates hear. I must also ask what happens afterwards. I have my award and im a fully qualified Veterinary nurse and i'm practising at a surgery, but where can I go from there. I desperately want to become an animal psychologist, but again all the courses are at least 2 hours away by car (3-4 by train) with me having no means of transport (closest one and the only reasonable uni would be Anglia Ruskin Cambridge)
The only way such a degree would be possible would be if I were to move house, but is such a degree worthwhile in terms of career progression? Ahh thats my three questions over and done with - thankyou very much in advance
Re: Veterinary nursing apprenticeship career prospects
June 14, 2011 10:21AM
Hi Joan Jasper

Veterinary nursing really sounds exciting. But many of my friends, who've pursued this course, used to give a feedback that veterinary nursing has a limited scope. So I would suggest to take some pain and finish off an animal psychologist course. As this career is in high demand and has lots of opportunities coming in. Most animal psychologist teach or do independent research at colleges and universities. Many are employed by academic departments such as animal science, veterinary medicine, wildlife, or entomology for research aimed at areas such as improving livestock production, managing wildlife populations, or controlling pests. Just complete this course, ignoring all hurdles and then you'll find lot of opportunities pouncing on you.

Thanks
Queenie
Re: Veterinary nursing apprenticeship career prospects
July 17, 2011 06:26PM
Hi There

I am looking to try&study Veterinary nursing hoping it leads to animal behaviour analyst however it is so difficult to get into the courses not to mention i would have to fund myself&being a single parent is just not an option for me.I have tried to look into apprenticeships but having no joy.Is there any other options i can go down?Please help.

Thanks

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been looking for a veterinary qualification
> for some time now and have at long last i've found
> a suitable placement within walking distance of my
> home. I do not have the option of pursuing the
> academic route since I dont have the relevant A
> levels and the money I would need to invest would
> be phenomenal - I entertain no illusions
> whatsoever.
> However by going via the apprenticeship route,
> how do I appear to employers when shoulder to
> shoulder with university graduates hear. I must
> also ask what happens afterwards. I have my award
> and im a fully qualified Veterinary nurse and i'm
> practising at a surgery, but where can I go from
> there. I desperately want to become an animal
> psychologist, but again all the courses are at
> least 2 hours away by car (3-4 by train) with me
> having no means of transport (closest one and the
> only reasonable uni would be Anglia Ruskin
> Cambridge)
> The only way such a degree would be possible
> would be if I were to move house, but is such a
> degree worthwhile in terms of career progression?
> Ahh thats my three questions over and done with -
> thankyou very much in advance
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved