VetClick Discussion Forum

Prerequisite veterinary experience - help!

Posted by Tristan 
Tristan
Prerequisite veterinary experience - help!
March 21, 2011 09:30AM
Hello!

I live in Australia and I'm spending this year working on my application to veterinary school for next year. I'm not sure what the deal is overseas, but at many (not all) vet schools in Australia it doesn't actually matter what you studied beforehand, just how well you did in it. This means that even I could get into vet science - and I have a music degree! This info might be useful info to someone who is looking at applying to international vet schools from a non-science background (you've still got to have stellar marks in whatever degree you did, though).

Anyway, my question regards the requisite experience for veterinary school. This is the really important part of the application for the uni I am applying to. The uni admissions office suggests that applicants find part-time or volunteer work in labs, shelters, farms or clinics. But NO ONE will take me - the labs say they don't take volunteers, the shelters have volunteers coming out their ears and don't want any more, farms don't want people who haven't worked with large animals yet, and apparently clinics will only take people who have educational insurance - eg. school work experience. I've researched, rung and begged every place I can find within driving distance of me. And time is starting to run out before I need to hand in the veterinary experience part of the application. Does anyone have any tips for different types of animal-related establishments to contact, or any way to be more persuasive towards these places that have previously rejected me?

Any help is very appreciated!

ps. I have a certificate qualification in animal handling and husbandry - essentially a pre-vet-nursing qualification. I mention this every time and they still knock me back...
Becsta9
Re: Prerequisite veterinary experience - help!
July 04, 2011 05:14AM
Anonymous User Wrote:

Hi Tristan,
Where abouts in oz are you located and which Uni are you applying to? I'm in Adelaide and am planning on studying vet science. I've approached the animal welfare league shelter about volunteering and they seemed quite keen. I also approached the RSPCA and they were also interested but were too far from my home. I am attending an info session at the awl this weekend.

Like you, I have a non science background but have another non-related degree with a good GPA. I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep up in science but am willing to give it a try.

The process to be a vet in Adelaide is to do the three year pre-vet program and then do an additional three year doctor of vet medicine. From what I've read, it seems that other states only require 5 years. Is that the case? If so, why is it less time? Is the 5 year program a graduate program?

-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello!
>
> I live in Australia and I'm spending this year
> working on my application to veterinary school for
> next year. I'm not sure what the deal is overseas,
> but at many (not all) vet schools in Australia it
> doesn't actually matter what you studied
> beforehand, just how well you did in it. This
> means that even I could get into vet science - and
> I have a music degree! This info might be useful
> info to someone who is looking at applying to
> international vet schools from a non-science
> background (you've still got to have stellar marks
> in whatever degree you did, though).
>
> Anyway, my question regards the requisite
> experience for veterinary school. This is the
> really important part of the application for the
> uni I am applying to. The uni admissions office
> suggests that applicants find part-time or
> volunteer work in labs, shelters, farms or
> clinics. But NO ONE will take me - the labs say
> they don't take volunteers, the shelters have
> volunteers coming out their ears and don't want
> any more, farms don't want people who haven't
> worked with large animals yet, and apparently
> clinics will only take people who have educational
> insurance - eg. school work experience. I've
> researched, rung and begged every place I can find
> within driving distance of me. And time is
> starting to run out before I need to hand in the
> veterinary experience part of the application.
> Does anyone have any tips for different types of
> animal-related establishments to contact, or any
> way to be more persuasive towards these places
> that have previously rejected me?
>
> Any help is very appreciated!
>
> ps. I have a certificate qualification in animal
> handling and husbandry - essentially a
> pre-vet-nursing qualification. I mention this
> every time and they still knock me back...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved