VetClick Discussion Forum

Student Nurse

Posted by Wayne 
Wayne
Student Nurse
March 15, 2006 09:04PM
Hi i am studying the foundation degree in veterinary nursing science, hoping to progress onto the BSc course after the two year foundation course. I will be enrolling with the RCVS as a registered student nurse in the next couple of weeks, the foundation course i am on requires that i complete 15 weeks of work experience in a training practice, have you any tips on the sort of things practices look for, and what to do if i cant find a practice to take me on in my area, i live in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, i do drive but paying for petrol to travel long distances will be difficult while training and not being paid !! thanks for any advice you can give, wayne
Re: Student Nurse
March 17, 2006 11:26AM
Hi, Wayne,

I have moved your message to this phorum from 'Ask the Vet' - I hope you did not have too much difficulty finding it!

You will be able to find the addresses of approved VN training practices in your area from the RCVS, either on theie web site - www.rcvs.org.uk or by telephone to the VN Dept.

Write to the practice which you like the sound of, explain your situation, describe your skills, indicate that you are prepared to take any work offerred, so long as it has some relevance to your training, and indicate the sort of slary which you are prepared to accept ( if any!!)

You may well find a practice which is looking for a locum trainee vet nurse to cover staff holidays.

If you are invited for interview, don't dress too casually
- many practices (I certainly did) objected to staff looking as though they were dressed in rejects from the Oxfam shop

Good luck.

Walter

Re: Student Nurse
August 30, 2006 06:58PM
... London! lol.

Medivet give training!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved