VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: becoming a vet

Posted by Amy 
Amy
March 24, 2010 11:21AM
Hi my name is Amy,
I’m sorry to bother you; I could really use some good advice.
I am hoping you can help as I am facing a dilemma! I am in my last year of sixth form, and having always wanted to be a veterinary surgeon my entire childhood I had previously made - the now admittedly colossal mistake - of taking A-levels which I enjoy/ had talent in (mainly Art, History and English) as opposed to Science options. – As a result of a mixture of poor careers advise and hesitating about something I had always wanted at the wrong time. After attempting to follow through on my choices (I had applied to do Art, - however was feeling incredibly lost and increasingly unhappy about this choice.) I have finally come back round to Veterinary as a career. However, I am overwhelmed with people telling me it is impossible and a mistake. I can assure you that despite not passionately adoring Chemistry and Maths (or Physics for that matter!), I have always been very strong in science subjects getting top grades at GCSE (including an A for maths). I can’t reiterate strongly enough my frustration at being told that I will be unable to pursue a career just because I made the wrong A-level choices a year ago.
Could you share your thoughts, on my situation and the best course of action.
Thank you.(I live in the UK by the way!)
March 24, 2010 01:44PM
Dear Amy,

You hqve no chance at all of getting into a UK Veterinary School without A levels at A or A* grades in Chemistry, Biology and Maths or Physics.
Whoever gave you careers advice, if they were told that you wished to study veterinary science, were totally wrong in their advice. All that it would have taken was a telephone call to the Admissions Dept of any UK University vet school.
Unless you are prepared to cram these subjects I am afraid that you have no chance.

w
March 26, 2010 04:33PM
walters right. im really sorry amy but the chances of getting into a uni is slim. good luck though
March 30, 2010 07:14AM
I think it would be best if you concentrated on getting good grades in your current A-levels, then afterwards consider doing a fast track A-level(one year) in Biology or Chemistry or even both. You could always apply to do a three year BSc in science which will then(dependent on the grade you get) lead to a graduate option to study as a Veternary surgeon.

This is not the end of your veterinary career if its what you really want! I myself am facing a similar dilemma after nearly 3 years of a BA Egyptology and Ancient History degree i have decided to pursue my childhood aspirations to become a Vet. I, like you, took non-science related A-levels, including English and History.

Luckily for you, you are still pre-application to a University, as i said have a look at some of the gradate programs the Veterinary faculties offer, they may be even more competitive than the already competitive Veterinary Medicine 6 year degrees, but if its your dream then its your dream. I would definitely look into a 3yr BSc in some form of Animal biology degree, Veterinary schools also like Biochemistry!

Hopefully the requirements for such courses won't include science related A-levels, however even if they did it would still be worth applying.
If you are not accepted try getting a place at Warwickshire College [www.warwickshire.ac.uk]
It has an extensive amount of Animal courses, Pershore(where many animal course are held) has wonderful facilities including hands on with animals...including a llama(i know i've seen him).
You can do a science degree here, or a 2 year HND which can then be topped up by a BSc at this university or the university of Worcester. If you feel its all just too much there is also Veterinary nursing, which if you love animals and just want to work with them, its worth considering.

Best wishes

Louise
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved