VetClick Discussion Forum

Yet another qualifications question...

Posted by john_owen 
Yet another qualifications question...
March 20, 2010 08:06AM
Yet another question on qualifications I am afraid.

Our daughter wants to train to be a vet. She has all A's (and mostly A*'s) at GCSE but she was ill during her A2 and AS levels but still managed AAB at AS. She ended up with A's in Biology and French at A2 and now having resat a couple of her chemistry papers is four marks short of an A in Chemistry A2 level as well. She could ask for a remark of the chemistry, but is it worth it?

She is now 19 and has a large CV of vet work experience in a variety of practices over the last five years including large animal and equine work. At the moment she is lambing 12 hours a day on a local farm and when lambing is over will be helping on a dairy unit in another famr with general husbandry and calving. She is off to work in an elephant orphanage in Zambia in a few weeks. Should she write to a few admission tutors and explain what has happened and hope that they will accept AAB at A2 or what do you suggest?
Re: Yet another qualifications question...
March 20, 2010 09:18AM
Dear John,

By all means ask for a re-assessment of your daughter's marks in her Chemistry A level. It can do no harm, and if there are two otherwise equally qualified candidates it could swing it. You do not say if she has Biology and Physics or Maths at A level, A grade - which are equally essential.
Write to the admissions departments at he various vet schools,providing all the information about extra-curricular activites you have mentioned above, and ask for their comments.
Good luck to her.

W
March 20, 2010 10:30AM
Thank you for your very prompt reply.

Her A levels are Biology, French and Chemistry - are you suggesting that she needs Maths or Physics as well? She took advice from her school when selecting her A level options and could have easily chosen other subjects.
March 20, 2010 03:46PM
I am sorry to say that I think that your daughter was badly advised by her school - to the best of my knowledge and belief either Physics or Mahs at A level, with A or A* grades as well as Chemistry and Biology are essential entry requirements at all UK university veterinary schools.

W
March 20, 2010 04:31PM
Thank you for another prompt reply.

If what you say is true, I think she will have to look at the extra year access options entry that are available at Nottingham and London.
March 20, 2010 05:25PM
Hi,

The alternative is a 'crash course' in Physics
Nottingham is a new school which has only recently produced its first veterinary graduates. I understand that it is geared towards agriucultural practice. Is that where your daughter's interests lie?
However, better chaeck with all the UK schools that all three sciences are essential - don't just take my word for it.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved