VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Courtney 
Courtney
December 17, 2009 08:38PM
Hi,

I'm currently in year 10 and I'm really keen on becoming a veterinary surgeon (not a nurse.) I think I can pull off most of the vital GCSE's and A-Levels such as Biology & Chemistry with A-A*s, but I'm really struggling with maths at the moment and think maybe at best I could get a B GCSE. I was wondering, is it compulsory to have a maths A Level to get into vets college and if so, does it have to be A-A*?
Thanks,
Courtney

P.S I live on a farm and am planning to volenteer for the RSPCA ect, so I'll have a lot of extra stuff to put on my application if that helps at all!? smiling smiley
December 18, 2009 08:28AM
Hi, Coutney,

If you get a good range of subjects with good grades at GCSE, and A or A* Chemistry and Biology A levels, I would think that you have a very good chance of getting a place at vet school with a B in Maths or Physics.

Any experience of working with animals before applying for a place is useful on your CD, but not necessarily with the RSPCA. Lambing, calving, livery stables, kennels are all helpful.
However, the downside of your parents being farmers is that some vet school admissions interviewers think that this may have had undue influence on you in your choice of career. Unfair, but that, I am afraid, is the way that it is.

Good luck!

W
Georgia
May 05, 2010 07:26PM
I'm thirteen years old and have always wanted to be a vet. I am not the brightest at maths but I have been having a maths tutor for two years now and he says I could get a B and possibly an A. Would this be alright? I'm not sure what to study to become a vet, I know you have to study science (biology etc.) and get a good grade in that and a good grade in maths and english. Is that all I have to study?
I may help out around a stable to earn some money and have some experience with animals.

Thank you

Georgia x
PS I'm going up to high school in September and need to start thinking about what I'm going to study so I need to know as soon as possible please.
May 06, 2010 08:13AM
Dear Georgia,

You need as wide a range of subjets as possible, including the sciences, at O level, and Chmistry Biology and Physics or Maths at A level, preferably at A or A* grades, in your A levels.to have a chnac eo getting into a UK veterinary school.

W
May 06, 2010 06:06PM
Hi , i have posted before and you said that Biology ,Chemistry and Physics are the best A-Levels to take , i have emailed many universties where i plan to do a Veterinary degree to become a veterinary surgeon and they have said Biology Chemistry and psychology would be equally exceptable at A's at A-Level. Would it be true in saying since i have extensive experience on farms and veterinary practices and have taken Psychology rather than Physics that i am equally capable of getting in then ? , Thankyou
May 07, 2010 08:59AM
That is not my understanding, but you will only know for certain when you have asked the veterinary schools which you are interested in.
Please let me know their replies when you do, so that the information can be shared with others.
May 08, 2010 10:41AM
I have been emailing Glasgow University and they have told me that Biology , Chemistry and Psychology are equally acceptable A-levels ,if i had these at A grades at A-Level, thankyou for the help also.
May 08, 2010 12:23PM
Are you quite sure Glasgow said Psychology, not Philosophy? (The Glasgow name for Physics is Natural Philosophy)

I would advise you to double check on that.
May 08, 2010 08:03PM
The reply was ''we accept Psychology as a third A-level choice'' , i will of course take your advice and call them up to double check though , but they have spelt PSYCHOLOGY not PHILOSOPHY and my email was directly asked towards Veterinary medicine and the reply was from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine- Admissions Offcie !! , Thankyou very much for your advice, very much appreciated.
May 08, 2010 08:34PM
Here is a passage taken from the SPECIFIC entry requirements for Veterinary Medicine, taken directly from Glasgow's Veterinary Medicine website :

THE FOLLOWING WAS OBTAINED FROM : [www.gla.ac.uk]

Veterinary Medicine (BVMS)

A-levels
â– AAB at first sitting including Chemistry at A, Biology at A with a third academic subject (preferably a science subject) excluding Art, Drama, General Studies, Home Economics, Music, PE.

So as you can see - They accept Biology , chemistry and as i have found out Psychology as they also see that as a science based subject , thanks- i would really appreciate it if there are any students who have already applied to veterinary medicine at glasgow to finalise this.
May 09, 2010 08:17AM
Hi, Lucy,

Thank you for that very useful update on the entry requirements at Glasgow University Veterinary School.

W
May 10, 2010 09:44AM
lucy.orca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a passage taken from the SPECIFIC entry
> requirements for Veterinary Medicine, taken
> directly from Glasgow's Veterinary Medicine
> website :
>
> THE FOLLOWING WAS OBTAINED FROM :
> [www.gla.ac.uk]
> quirements/professionaldegrees/
>
> Veterinary Medicine (BVMS)
>
> A-levels
> â– AAB at first sitting including Chemistry at A,
> Biology at A with a third academic subject
> (preferably a science subject) excluding Art,
> Drama, General Studies, Home Economics, Music,
> PE.
>
> So as you can see - They accept Biology ,
> chemistry and as i have found out Psychology as
> they also see that as a science based subject ,
> thanks- i would really appreciate it if there are
> any students who have already applied to
> veterinary medicine at glasgow to finalise this.

I am off to Glasgow in September and can confir that you will be absolutely fine with Psychology at A level - just make sure your basic maths is up to scratch and you won't go far wrong!
May 10, 2010 09:20PM
Thankyou so much , this is brilliant to be able to talk to a vet who is going to my first choice university - would a C in GCSE maths be acceptable - that was my only downfall as my other subjects at GCSE were A's and A * s ? Would you recommend i resit ? , once again i appreciate the time taken for you to reply to these posts,Lucy
May 14, 2010 10:50AM
lucy.orca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thankyou so much , this is brilliant to be able to
> talk to a vet who is going to my first choice
> university - would a C in GCSE maths be acceptable
> - that was my only downfall as my other subjects
> at GCSE were A's and A * s ? Would you recommend i
> resit ? , once again i appreciate the time taken
> for you to reply to these posts,Lucy

A C in maths is a possible hindrance, although it could be a lot worse. if you have the opportunity to resit it, I would, if only for personal satisfaction that you did the very best you could in helping yourself get a place at vet school. if you like you can email me - my address is found by clicking on my name (in green).
Hannah
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved