VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: becoming a vet

Posted by jodie 
jodie
November 07, 2009 08:41PM
hi im jodie walker and im in year 10 at school and i would really love to be a vet when i leave school so i was wondering if there is any chance your will be able to give me some detail and some advice
your sincerally jodie walker

email addrees is jodie.d.w@hotmail.co.uk
thank you
November 08, 2009 08:51AM
Hi, Jodie,

You will find all the information you need if you trawl through some of the other posts on this Forum.
However, briefly, you have to attend one of the 7 universities in the UK which have a veterinary school - London, Cambridge, Bristol Liverpool, Nottingham Edinburgh and Glasgow. The course takes a minimum of 5 years, and when you graduate with a veterinary degree you then are admitted to membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, which allows you to work as a vet.
The pressure to get into the university veterinary schools is considerable, and you need A levels at A or A* in Chemistry, Biology and Physics/Maths to have a chance.
As well as that, the course fees are significant, and since vet students are expected to get work experience on farms, at stables and in kennels as well as in veterinary practices during their vacations they are not able to earn money to help meet the costs.

W
W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved