VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Are my grades going to be good enough to stand a chance?

Posted by Yasmin Parr 
Yasmin Parr
August 07, 2009 04:56PM
Hi...
I was wondering if you could tell me if my grades are good enough to get into vet university.
For my standard grades I got -
Biology - 1
Physics - 1
Chemistry - 1
Geography - 1
Maths - 1
French - 1
English - 2
Art -2

And for my Highers I got -
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Geography - A
Maths - B
English - C

I am planning on taking advanced higher biology and chemistry this year at school and im still decided whether to take advanced maths to improve my grade or do higher physics instead and try to get an A in that...
What do you think ?
Thanks...
Yasmin
August 08, 2009 08:11AM
Hi, Yasmin,

You do not say where you live, and I am assuming that you are in the UK (and since you mention 'Highers' probably Scotland, which improves your chances of getting into Glasgow or Edinburgh).
If so, with these grades, I would expect you to have a very good chance of being accepted at any UK University Veterinary School, especially if you can add Physics at A.

W
August 13, 2009 08:33PM
Sorry I started a new topic without looking at the stickys

Hi, in my Highers I got : Human Biology - A
Chemistry - B
History - B
English - B
Maths - C

I was pretty disappointed overall with the grades (especially maths).
Next year I'm doing : AH Biology, AH Chemistry, AH Maths and Physics at Higher level

I understand that I've achieved below the minimum entry requirments for a degree in Vet Medicine which is why I'm asking, do I have any realistic chance of receiving any sort of offer this year or in the future based on my results this year and for my advanced Highers next year?

I've tried e-mailing and phoning universities but they just say ' we consider all applications'

Thanks alot for your help, Martin.
August 25, 2009 04:28PM
Hi,

I think that it is very unlikely that you would be offered a place at a UK vet school on the results you mention. The pressure on places is so high that not all students with straight As in Chemistry Biology and Physics A levels are offered places.

W

W
Jess Cove
August 29, 2009 03:20AM
Hi,
I'm currently a vet student in Australia, and our system is obviously very different to yours in the UK.
I don't know if it works the same way, but in highschool my grades were pretty terrible, mostly because I hated school and didn't want to be there, but I got into univeristy to do a much easier course, and got really good grades in that and transferred across into veterinary science, using my university grades. Until I got to university nobody told me I could do that, but I found it to be a much better option, because it meant that I could learn the standard expected of university assignments and assessment, without the pressure of doing veterinary science. A lot of sutdents who enter veterinary science straight from school don't cope very well and end up dropping out. The majority of my year level is made up of people who have already done a previous degree, or part of a degree like I did, and they're going fine.
Don't give up on doing veterinary science if that's what you really want to do, it is possible to make it if you want it enough.
Jess
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved