VetClick Discussion Forum

Are my grades going to be good enough to stand a chance?

Posted by miranda 
Are my grades going to be good enough to stand a chance?
April 30, 2009 09:12AM
Hi all,

I am currently doing my AS levels at sixth form. I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and General Studies. For my GCSEs I only got 3A* and 6As and I was told by my head teacher that I would really struggle to become a veterinary surgeon and should consider my other options. I am still working hard towards by goal and have got 3 weeks work experience at a zoo, one week in a veterinary surgery, one week at a farm, one week at a kennels, one week at my local RSPCA and hopefully a week or two more at another veterinary surgery. I have also done a lot of horse riding for two years when I was younger (sadly due to money problems I had to stop). I do believe I am a very strong candidate as I have been through a lot as my family lost my little brother when he was 13 in 2006 after having a brain tumour for two years and I want to make the most of my life because he couldn't do so with his... It may sound silly to some but I am very determined for this reason. I was wondering if anyone here could either give me more advice or be truly honest and say I should look elsewhere for a career. I have had my heart set on becoming a vet but it was only at the beginning of this year that I really decided I was going to go for it so sadly I have had to book all my school holidays with work experience! Is this enough? Sorry to be a bother! I am so worried...

Thank you for your time!

Miranda
Re: Are my grades going to be good enough to stand a chance?
April 30, 2009 11:00AM
Hi,

Your O grades sound pretty good to me, but I am sure that there are others better able to comment than am I.
However, I am fairly certain that you will need either Maths or Physics at A level as well as Chemistry and Biology.
You must also consider the cost if money is a problem - vet students are unable to work and earn in all their long vacations because of having to 'see practice'. Many new vets are graduating these days with huge debts and compared with some other professions are not highly paid.

Good luck!

W
June 08, 2009 03:59PM
Hi Mirander, Walter Beswick advice is of course very sound, however, you no longer need Maths or Physics for Bristol, RVC, Liverpool or Nottingham as long as you have a decent GCSE grade for them, otherwise AS Physic could compensate for a poor maths grade. As far as I can remember you do need Maths or Physics for Glasgow or Edinborough and maybe Cambridge but It's worth taking a look at the prospectus. If I was you I would consider all advice and if your still not put off go for it! Make sure you get your AAB or AAA (not including general studies as sadly it's worthless) and 10weeks work experience and you should have a pretty good chance.

The best of luck
Freya
Clive
June 11, 2009 08:23AM
Hi Miranda,

Go for it!

You already have a string of respectable GCSE grades, and as long as you can demonstrate good gcse's in maths and physics you should be ok without them at A level. It goes without saying that you will need to get the grades, and preferably at the first sitting. If you get good AS grades before your application, that will strenghten your case too.

see plenty of practice and work experience. try and see a variety too; sheep and dairy farming, equine, pigs. I saw practice on an ostrich farm when I was a student. Admissions tutors look for more than just grades.

Go to university open days, and ask questions and have a good look round.

If you get no offers, or just miss your grades don't give up. Candidates that show determination are looked upon favourably sometimes. I missed my grades (ABcool smiley and still got in, and a few others got in based on A level resits.

Finance is difficult, and students these days have it hard I think. I was lucky, I received a grant and was able to work some weekends and holidays milking cows and driving lorries through university and managed to finish debt free.

best of luck

clive
Abi
July 08, 2009 12:54PM
I'd definately go for it!
i only got one A* but 10 A's and a couple of B's at GCSE, and i'm going to apply.

you're work experince variety is fantastic, and will show your motivation for the subject, so make sure you get lots of good references.

if you dont try you'll never know, best of luck!
July 08, 2009 08:06PM
Hi Miranda (:

I've always wanted to be a Vet, and i'm just as determined as you (not for the same reason) I just have a strong interest in animals! My GCSE grades were not amazing. 1A 8B's 3C's. But my grades were good enough to do A level Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography. I am just starting my A2 course and I don't think I'll get AAA. Since understanding I couldn't go straight to Veterinary Medicine, I was determined to find a different route, which I have.
I want to study Biological Science for 3 years then get into Veterinary Medicine as a graduate which is another 4 years. Totalling 7 years!
But to me... it'll be worth it.

oh and WOW you've done so much work experience.. it really shows that you are passionate about becoming a Vet.
All the best!

Raisa X
sophie
July 12, 2009 01:05PM
Hi everyone,
My GCSE grades were not fantastic either as i only got 2 A's and so i was wondering how much the veterinary schools look at your GCSE's?And what happens if i just get C's and B's at AS level is there still a chance of acceptance?

sophie
x
July 12, 2009 01:07PM
Hi,

I very much doubt it, though you might go for veterinary nursing with them.

W
sophie
July 12, 2009 01:17PM
Hey,
Are GCSE's really that important?
x
sophie
July 12, 2009 01:22PM
Hey,
i think i need some more advice as i only did get 2 A's at GCSE and not sure about my AS's. But i have been volunteering at Riding for the Disabled for a year and work at a boarding kennels and cattery. I have also got a weeks worth of work experience at a veterinary clinic and have requested for more at different surgerys. How else can i strengthen my application?
x
July 12, 2009 04:21PM
Hi,

Nothing will compensate for poor O or A grades.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved