VetClick Discussion Forum

Best combination to apply for Veterinary Science

Posted by Freya 
Best combination to apply for Veterinary Science
April 20, 2009 10:59PM
Hello, I’m 17 and currently taking a combination of GCSE and A levels in college, GCSE, Maths, English, Core Science and Additional science and World Development and the EPQ AS level. (I didn't fail my GCSE the first time but as I was home educated I began them at 16.) However although I am confident at getting A*-B for the rest of my subjects I cam only get a C in maths as college policies meant I could only enter foundation, this doesn’t affect my A levels so I’m hoping university won’t mind if the A levels are there.

I am now applying for more A levels with intention of studying veterinary medicine at university, I’ve read all the university course entry requirement and intend to definitely take Chemistry and Biology, however I wasn't certain about Physic. Although both myself and my teacher believe I am quite capable of it. Is Physics generally despite not being stressed in prospectuses a must?
My current plan is to take all three sciences, continue taking World Development and possible also take up English Lit AS, does this sound daft? This will mean I'll have 4 A levels and 2 AS.

The other thing I was wondering about was work experience, my family own a few sheep, just finished lambing, horses and lots of smaller furries and the like, does this contribute to work experience? Is it worth me writing up vet visits? We seem to have had all to many lately especially with sheep. I've got months of work experience at varies riding schools and yards, again is it worth me writing up notable veterinary events, use of ultra-sound ect? I intend to get more work experience with local rescues and vets again is this a good strategy?

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, I’ll be very grateful for any advice.
Freya
Re: Best combination to apply for Veterinary Science
April 24, 2009 02:37PM
Freya Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello, I’m 17 and currently taking a combination
> of GCSE and A levels in college, GCSE, Maths,
> English, Core Science and Additional science and
> World Development and the EPQ AS level. (I didn't
> fail my GCSE the first time but as I was home
> educated I began them at 16.) However although I
> am confident at getting A*-B for the rest of my
> subjects I cam only get a C in maths as college
> policies meant I could only enter foundation, this
> doesn’t affect my A levels so I’m hoping
> university won’t mind if the A levels are there.
>
>
> I am now applying for more A levels with intention
> of studying veterinary medicine at university,
> I’ve read all the university course entry
> requirement and intend to definitely take
> Chemistry and Biology, however I wasn't certain
> about Physic. Although both myself and my teacher
> believe I am quite capable of it. Is Physics
> generally despite not being stressed in
> prospectuses a must?
> My current plan is to take all three sciences,
> continue taking World Development and possible
> also take up English Lit AS, does this sound daft?
> This will mean I'll have 4 A levels and 2 AS.
>
> The other thing I was wondering about was work
> experience, my family own a few sheep, just
> finished lambing, horses and lots of smaller
> furries and the like, does this contribute to work
> experience? Is it worth me writing up vet visits?
> We seem to have had all to many lately especially
> with sheep. I've got months of work experience at
> varies riding schools and yards, again is it worth
> me writing up notable veterinary events, use of
> ultra-sound ect? I intend to get more work
> experience with local rescues and vets again is
> this a good strategy?
>
> Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, I’ll
> be very grateful for any advice.
> Freya
Hi Freya - I applied to Vet Med this year but got 4 rejections (after 3 interviews sadly) which alone demonstrates the competitiveness of this course!

Your subject choices sound absolutely fine - however, you do not need to take Physics if you don't want to. It could be Maths instead or even Geography (but if you think you will succeed in Physics then by all means do it!!)

With regards to work experience - universities do not generally regard animals that you own as proper work experience - you will need to go elsewhere to obtain it - ie. another sheep farm/stables/vets (most important really!!) and others (if you need more ideas just ask)
Writing about the vet visits are a very good idea - when the vet comes try to ask as many questions as possible (without annoying them!) ie. What does that drug/medicine do? What are you injecting them with? What the symptoms of such and such disease? WRITE ALL THE ANSWERS DOWN - they will be invaluable for when you are trying to remember everything at interview time. The more you get out of and remember from your work experience - the greater value it will have.
I hope that all helps and feel free to ask anymore questions, if not then perhaps I'll see you there (after I hopefully get in next year!!)
Hannah
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved