VetClick Discussion Forum

Becoming A Vet

Posted by MJay 
Becoming A Vet
March 19, 2009 11:38AM
I am thirteen years old and when I am older I am determined to become a vet. I am a hardworker and am confident that I can get the grades I need but I also know there is a lot more I could be doing to help prepare me for becoming a vet. I have been trying to find a volunteer job with several veterinarys and animal centres but it is proving difficult and so far I have only been able to secure a meeting with a vet who can 'show me the ropes' but not help me otherwise. I have connections with people who are active in the RSPCA and I am helping out a lot at fundraisers and raise money myself. Please could I have some tips about what else I could be doing. I am really serious about this career choice, I have been thinking about it a lot this year as I knew my options were coming up and I wanted to pick the subjects that were relevant to what I wanted to do when I was older. I am a textbook case of someone who has wanted to be a vet since a young age but only now have I begun to seriously consider it. It is a long hard journey but I know I can put in the effort. As I have previously said I am certain that I have the right atitude for it, I am not work-shy, willing to go the extra mile and neither too shy or overconfident. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for reading.
Re: Becoming A Vet
March 19, 2009 11:53AM
Hi, MJay,

I had the same ambitions as you at the same time inmy life, and fortunately I was able to realise them. However, I was lucky enough to be born and raised on a farm, so I was able to get experience of working and living with animals at a very early age!

I understand that stables, farmms, kennels and veterinary surgeries are unwilling to 'take on' people like yourself under 14 years of age, I think because of probklems with insurance.
Do you have a pet of your own? If so, I think your first port of call should be a vet at the practice you take it to, who could put you in touch with animal owning clinets who may be able to help you, if not now, when you are a little older.
If you tell me where you live, I may be able to help you more.

W
March 20, 2009 04:16PM
Hi Walter, thanks for replying so quickly. I hope you don't mind but I'd rather not disclose any personal details on the internet. Years of mum worrying have really sunk in. Thank you for your advice though, I am arranging a meeting with the local vet and hopefully he will be able to talk me through some things. I am also going to contact the owner of a local riding school / farm where I used to ride. I know that she takes on people over the age of thirteen to help around the yard and it would be good to be able to say that I have experience with farm animals and horses when I apply for my veternairy course. I don't mind waiting until I am fourteen to get a job at an animal centre or veternairy, I will be soon anyway. Thanks again.
March 20, 2009 05:22PM
Very wise, though I only wanted the nearest town or the region where you live, not your name and address!

Good luck, anyway.
March 23, 2009 11:12AM
I live in the UK in Somerset. I don't know if that will be helpfull at all. Thanks.
March 23, 2009 02:35PM
Hi,

How far are you from Tiverton ( Devon)

W
March 26, 2009 04:45PM
About forty miles, so an hour and a bit drive.
March 27, 2009 10:45AM
Hi,

If you contact the BlueCross animal adoption centre at Tiverton they may allow you to work there as a volunteer during your school holidays, if you can arrange transport.
Be sure to mention that I suggested it if you do contact them.

W
March 30, 2009 03:28PM
Thankyou!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved