VetClick Discussion Forum

My daughter would like to be a vet

Posted by Hayley 
Hayley
My daughter would like to be a vet
February 12, 2009 01:44PM
Please could someone help. My daughter would like to pursue a career as a vet. She is about to take her options at High School - we live in North East Wales. We have been told that she should study hard in her maths and science subjects. Is this general science or all sciences separately? What other options should she choose which would help her along her chosen career path. I strongly believe she is cut out for this career and will work extremely hard to achieve it. After school, where then? Any recommendations welcome. Many thanks.
Re: My daughter would like to be a vet
February 12, 2009 02:13PM
Dear Hayley,

To the best of my knowledge, though I may be a little out of date, your daughter would be best afvised to go for A levels in Chemisty, Biology and Physics/maths. aiming for an A or A* in each.
Work with animals, in a livery stables, on a farm, in a boarding kennel is very useful experience as would be voluntary work in your local veterinary practice.
There are six veterinary schools in the UK, and the course takes 5 years at Liverpool ( your nearest) Bristol, London, Nottigham, Glasgow and Edinburgh and 6 years at Cambridge.
You can get a good deal of background knowledge about the veterinary profession on: www.rcvs.org.uk.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved