VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: becoming a vet

Posted by Ophelie 
Ophelie
October 08, 2008 06:38PM
Hi,
I am in year 13, last year I got grades A in physics B in biology and C in chemistry and as my predicted grades were not good enough I did not aply for vet school this year. I know that at least A, A and B are needed and even if I do very well for my A2 have I still got a chance? Are the A2 grades the most important or do they look at the overall grades for A-level? I didn't really work before but this time I would do everything necessary to get a chance, I am revising at least 3 x more, doing all the work experience I can find (I worked in a wildlife rescue centre, at a farm, at the local vet). As I am going to apply beginning of next year I was thinking of taking a gap year and get more work experience.
But am I doing all of this for nothing if my AS results are going to hold me back anyway?
Please help
October 09, 2008 07:53AM
Hi, Ophelie,

I suggest that you write to the Admissions Secretary at each of the University Veterinary Schools you think of applying to. WRITE - do not e-mail), saying what you have said to me and asking the same question. You may find you get different responses from different Schools.
If you have any difficulty in finding the adresses, you will be able to get them from www.rcvs.org.uk

W
October 23, 2008 01:06PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I am in year 13, last year I got grades A in
> physics B in biology and C in chemistry and as my
> predicted grades were not good enough I did not
> aply for vet school this year. I know that at
> least A, A and B are needed and even if I do very
> well for my A2 have I still got a chance? Are the
> A2 grades the most important or do they look at
> the overall grades for A-level? I didn't really
> work before but this time I would do everything
> necessary to get a chance, I am revising at least
> 3 x more, doing all the work experience I can find
> (I worked in a wildlife rescue centre, at a farm,
> at the local vet). As I am going to apply
> beginning of next year I was thinking of taking a
> gap year and get more work experience.
> But am I doing all of this for nothing if my AS
> results are going to hold me back anyway?
> Please help

Hi, with AS grades of ABC, you are capable (as long as the B and C aren't too low) , with quite a bit of effort, to obtain the required grades of AAB. your work experience sounds fine, and if you're taking a gap year anyway then try to fit as much in as possible. If some of your modules from AS are quite low, then retake them this year and strive to get AAB. Your new work mentality sounds much better, so good luck and I hope you can achieve what you want
Hannah
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved