VetClick Discussion Forum

South Wales vet recently struck off

Posted by Mark Davies 
South Wales vet recently struck off
January 22, 2004 05:40PM
Where has this subject been discussed ad nauseum George?

Re: South Wales vet recently struck off
January 22, 2004 05:49PM
Don't think this new format is an improvement. Where the posts on the old site too dull, or are do you want to limit topics discussed.
January 22, 2004 06:14PM
Hello Mark

We will continue to improve the format.
No we didn't think the posts on the old site were dull, we were just getting tired of a handful of posters slagging off the industry just for the sake of it.
So we've introduced a login to keep the forum free of time-wasters.
January 23, 2004 05:37PM
Hi Graeme, I didn't think that they were 'slagging off' the industry for no reason. I just thought it a shame no-one from within the industry could answer any of their concerns. Vets do provide a service to their clients, but what happens when a client has a problem with one of those minority 'bad vets' which cause the industry problems. Surely you worked out who Joe Inglis was referring to in his book. How does that reflect on a caring industry. Perhaps the industry could learn something from consumer feedback, not dismiss comments as tired and or from 'time-wasters'. How arrogant does that sound. Those 'old tired' posts enlivened a rather dull site I thought. Was it vet pressure that caused you to change the format?.
January 24, 2004 09:32AM
Mark whats this book say, can you only get it UK?.
January 24, 2004 07:35PM
Mark,

“I just thought it a shame no-one from within the industry could answer any of their concerns.”

I would like to know what concerns you thought were unanswered? I believe they were the same questions repeated over and again (e.g. What happens if a vet abuses animals in practice?) and in the end I for one found it tiresome and pointless to post the same answers (e.g. If reported to the RCVS they could face disciplinary procedures and be struck off).

“but what happens when a client has a problem with one of those minority 'bad vets' which cause the industry problems.”

Same question again. I posted a link to the RCVS website showing disciplinary procedures. Others detailed examples of what outcomes of such procedures could be.

“Perhaps the industry could learn something from consumer feedback, not dismiss comments as tired and or from 'time-wasters'.”

In the same way could we accept the thanks and gratitude from those clients who don’t have a grudge against the profession? When a client thanks our staff for the care we’ve provided for their animal, does the industry learn something then? Its very easy to dismiss the comments that are all the same – demands, threats, same old questions THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. Why should we spend all our time repeating ourselves so that the latest person to ask what the RCVS does about negligence can have a whole new reply?

“Those 'old tired' posts enlivened a rather dull site I thought.”

I thought it slated the veterinary profession unnecessarily, and worked towards destroying public confidence in their own vets due to the misgivings of others.

"I'll improve on YOUR methods!" www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html
January 26, 2004 10:10AM
Twiggyette, what do you want praise all the time, what do you mean about the ten year old going to school?. You must not have read this earlier post which was a very enlightening an excellant answer' It is very difficult for the man in the street to persue a claim of negligence against a vet. Like wise against any professional or indeed practioner of any kind. By definition the vet knows more about the affair than the client (most of the time by virtue of his or her training) and it comes down to a disparity of interpretation between the only two parties involved- the vet and the client, so the bias favours the vet. THE RCVS ROLE IS TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC, that is their role. It may not seem to do a very good job. It may be argued that it does not in fact DO A VERY GOOD JOB but the fact remains that that is its job. I fully except that their are individuals within any profession WHO ARE A DISGRACE. I fully agree they should be drummed out.' Well theres one MRCVS that knows what clients have to deal with. But unfortunatly it seems that the public has to change the system (via government?) because the industry though it may know the RCVS doesn't do a very good job, the industry doesn't really mind. Those known disgraceful individuals are well looked after. What is the answer for this 'problem', pretend it doesn't matter lets only talk about the animals that survive a visit to the vets?' Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups' do you mean that small minority of 'bad vets' that the industry tolerates who are willing to bring the profession into disrepute?. Knowing that the public can do nothing about it. So Twiggyette apart from looking at the RCVS site what else can a client do if there pet hasn't received the proper care at the vets and the client feels a complaint should be made?. What about the RSPCA and the 1911 cruelty to animals act?. Doesn't talking about it raise awareness so pet owners can protect there pets better. Didn't you read the posts about animals being 'hit' when at the vets, where these dull and boring, or is it just because you haven't seen it ,it doesn't happen. Aoife has. How tiresome how pointless, to be concerned that some pets and clients are not being cared for when taken to the vets. A MINORITY of vets, its no good to be told afterwards how stupid you where to take your pet there 'didn't you know'. How does ignoring it help?.
January 26, 2004 01:48PM
AnonConcerned,

“Twiggyette, what do you want praise all the time”

Are you talking about me personally or the profession in general?

“what do you mean about the ten year old going to school?.”

When you edit you Vetclick profile you have the choice of showing a quote at the end of each post. No doubt when this message is posted you will see the same quotes. It seems you did not appreciate the humour. Oh well.

“You must not have read this earlier post which was a very enlightening an excellant answer”

Please remind me of this excellent post. The majority of posts have been all too similar to witchhunts and mass hysteria.

“It is very difficult for the man in the street to persue a claim of negligence against a vet. Like wise against any professional or indeed practioner of any kind. By definition the vet knows more about the affair than the client (most of the time by virtue of his or her training) and it comes down to a disparity of interpretation between the only two parties involved- the vet and the client, so the bias favours the vet. THE RCVS ROLE IS TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC, that is their role. It may not seem to do a very good job. It may be argued that it does not in fact DO A VERY GOOD JOB but the fact remains that that is its job. I fully except that their are individuals within any profession WHO ARE A DISGRACE. I fully agree they should be drummed out.' Well theres one MRCVS that knows what clients have to deal with. But unfortunatly it seems that the public has to change the system (via government?) because the industry though it may know the RCVS doesn't do a very good job, the industry doesn't really mind. Those known disgraceful individuals are well looked after. What is the answer for this 'problem', pretend it doesn't matter lets only talk about the animals that survive a visit to the vets?'”

I found this part of your post very jumbled and confusing. Please make use of paragraphs and full sentences so I can respond.

“Doesn't talking about it raise awareness so pet owners can protect there pets better. Didn't you read the posts about animals being 'hit' when at the vets, where these dull and boring, or is it just because you haven't seen it ,it doesn't happen”

Raising awareness is one thing. Constantly making the same allegations and asking the same questions helps none.

I did read the earlier post about animals being hit. I have replied to these posts, if you would like to check. I have stated constantly that I do accept that it is happening, I am not turning a blind eye. I simply feel that this subject is being talked about in a way that helps no-one, nor solves any problem. Surely you can agree that this does not help the animals.

“A MINORITY of vets, its no good to be told afterwards how stupid you where to take your pet there 'didn't you know'. How does ignoring it help?.”

This doesn’t make sense. I have ignored nothing, although I’m starting to think for the sake of my sanity I should choose unemployment.

January 26, 2004 05:34PM
The quote used was from Vet Defence Society postings, David Cuffe. Where can i find witchhunts and mass hysteria?.
January 26, 2004 05:44PM
Vet. Defence Society David Cuffe 16/01/04 5.37 to be precise. He didn't use paragraphs. But he sure made some good points. Where would a owner go if the RCVS arn't very good at regulating their members?. Where would an owner if a complaint concerned a veterinary nurse?.
January 26, 2004 06:53PM
Veterinary nurses are not (unfortunately) a profession in their own right, therefore the veterinary surgeon is responsible for the action of his or her nurses. Although clients could not "report" a VN to the RCVS I do wonder whether they could report the Vet on behalf of the nurses behaviour.

January 27, 2004 08:58AM
Hi, let me introduce my self, I am a qualified veterinary nurse, and have been nursing since the age of 15.

I am like Twiggy very proud of our proffesion, and yes there are a MINORITY out there who tarnish it, Yes i have seen animals get hit by veterinary surgeons, and nurses, and i can count those indicents on one hand alone, yet every one in this forum, brings up those few incidents that have happened.
yes vets do get suspended and struck off. many practices take all complaints very seriously! and will use action witnin its power, instead of maybe going to the rcvs.

Alot of problems are brought in by misinformed owners, bad breeders, and from the information found on the internet which is not always correct.

I'm sure Twiggy and my self will try and help ease out problems,
but this forum is not to slander the proffession, or to sae money instead of going to the vet, if your animal is ill, take it to the vet please, you may inadvertently be causeing suffering to your animal
January 28, 2004 05:05PM
There are 12 entries here under the heading " south Wales vet struck off", and they seem to be the usual -" lets all have a moan and slate the veterinary profession" rubbish.

Does anyone actually want to debate this particular case of a vet being struck off? or is it just another whingers forum ?
January 28, 2004 05:34PM
after you clive, if your not whinging about the whingers.
January 28, 2004 08:14PM
You're right Clive, not on topic at all!

Thank you Selena for your post. It has brightened my day after having a terrible week.

Would the author of the original message please give us some details about this south wales vet?

January 29, 2004 03:50PM
Details of the South Wales vet recently struck off can be viewed on the RCVS website, www.rcvs.org.uk.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all the time."
February 01, 2004 11:22AM
www.kirkflyingvet.co.uk, how typical is this of vet websites. Doesn't it bring the profession into disrepute?. Wasn't he allowed to stand for RCVS council?, lets hope next time he gets 400 more votes.
dropshippers for it
dropshippers for it
April 29, 2007 02:56AM
Some pages can't fit in to a 800x600 screen. I have to scroll left and right to read all the text.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved