VetClick Discussion Forum

pyoderma

Posted by Linda Teasley 
pyoderma
January 21, 2004 08:34PM
My 11 year old Shar-pei has developed pyoderma, a bacteriological, fungal skin disease. He has been on antibiotics and an anti-fungal ( nizoral ) tablet and bath ( malaseb) for several months. It is working, slowly, but Dizzy ( my dog) has become quite a picky eater. Consequently, he has lost weight and feeding him has become quite stressful. He recent bloodwork indicated a high liver enzyme so he is off the nizoral for now. He has not lost his apetite--just for dog food. Today, his birthday, I fed him leftover turkey and stuffing which he loved. Any suggestions for food or other treatments for this nasty stuff?
Re: pyoderma
January 27, 2004 09:54PM
Hi.
I'll try and offer advice (i am a qualified veterinary nurse)
I would be very careful about chopping and changing his diet, as this could cause more problems in the long run, and he could end up with digestive upsets, It is more adviseable to stick to one diet if he has liver problems, special diets are availble from you vet and i'm sure your vet can advise this.
some times warming the food can help them eat it, (warm dog food smells horrible!) you can try adding chicken or rice as this is quite bland.
Another trick is to leave his food downn for only a set amount of time, if he doesnt eat it, to take the food up and not offer anything else, then offer him the food again later in the day, and only for a set time. as they say a dog will eat when he is hungry.
he might get the message then, . Possibly if he's feeling ill with the liver problem and hnot wanting to eat.
Obviously if he really is not eating well then this could indicate a more serious problem and i would advise you see your vet for further treatment. especially if he is losing weight quickly.. keeping a table of his daily weight may help.
Hope this sheds some light.
February 02, 2004 07:38PM
Linda,
Shar-peis are notorious amongs vets for having chronic skin problems! The treatments given to Dizzy are all powerful medicines, and prolonged use can put a severe strain on the liver, which shows up as raised liver enzymes in a blood test.
If his liver is not working properly he will be having problems digesting protein-rich, fatty, foods. You might try (with you veterinary surgeon's consent) a high carbohydrate diet, such as breakfast cereal with skimmed milk, or even a special prescription diet which your vet can provide.He can also be given a few extrs tidbits (Not choclolate!).
March 24, 2005 07:12PM
It might be worth considering herbal/homoeopathic remedies, in my experience Shar Pei's often respond well. For instance, Milk Thistle is an effective herb to protect against liver damage. Ask your vet to refer you to a vet with experience in such therapies.

Richard Allport BVetMed, VetMFHom, MRCVS
Natural Medicine Centre: Natural medicine for pets and for people
11 Southgate Road
Potters Bar
Herts
EN6 5DR
E mail: info@naturalmedicinecentre.net
April 19, 2005 09:48PM
Linda,
Walter is Correct in saying that Shar Pei's are renowned for developing chronic skin disease.Pyoderma in Dogs is usually a secondary problem. i.e there may well be a primary underlying problem which has predisposed him to developing it. In an 11 y.o dog , this may well be a hormonal imbalance or an internal metabolic problem such as liver disease . I would suggest if you wish to get to the problem of your dog's problem, then ask your vet to refer you to a veterinary dermatologist.
Simon Tai Cert VD
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved