VetClick Discussion Forum

Aspiring Vet Nurse.

Posted by Mai 
Aspiring Vet Nurse.
September 12, 2012 03:58PM
Hi! smiling smiley

I have always had love and passion towards the care of animals. And when i was little i always wanted to be a vet. I left secondry school in 2010 and studied a youth work NVQ, which was fantastic. But now i am focussing more on getting into veterinary nursing. Im currently living in the UK but am emigrating to Melbourne, Australia at the end of October. I am 19 years old, and have had animals since i was 14 because i was able to work and pay towards their upkeep. I have had rabbits in the past... one of which only died a few months ago at the age of eight years old. She was very poorly towards the end and i was administering daily antibiotic injections, and metacam pain relief orally. She had a chest infection that wouldnt go. We managed to keep it controlled by the medication for around six months, she was still a happy bunny which was good. smiling smiley I currently have two hamsters, a Syrian, and a chinese dwarf. Both females, and the sweetest things i have even owned! Cerys, my syrian has been through the wars bless her, she had a prolapse which was operated on by my lovely vet, then after the op developed a chest infection, to which she was on dailey antibiotics for over a month.

For months now i have been working hard gaining more and more experience in the animal world. I have been out to south africa to volunteer on a nature reserve there which was fantastic, i have also been volunteering at a local rabbit and guinea pig rescue. I also used to show hamsters, but have now retired my two girls. I have been volunteering at my local vet on the weekends for around four months now and have learnt so much. I have been based in the smaller surgery, which has been fantastic for me to build up relationships with the clients and to be able to shadow the vet at a quieter surgery. I has been fantastic as i have been able to ask questions and get really hands on. I have helped restrain many animals for procedures, helped in weigh in clinics, and handled medication. I have also worked on reception, answering the phone booking appointments, and chatting to clients in the waiting room. Next week i have a nine til five shift in the brand new main surgery in town. I'm very excited (and nervous), and am hoping to be able to observe operations, and build on the knowledge i have already gained.

I have a college place in Melbourne in February 2013 on an animal studies course, which is part time fore a year. I am aiming to work alongside to pay for my studies - hopefully somthing animal related! - Then after that i am going to apply to the veterinary nurse college of Melbourne. smiling smiley

I am really excited about becoming a part of this forum, and am eager to read, and learn what everyone has to offer.

Mai. x
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved